BSc, DVM, Owner
Dr. Varma graduated as a veterinarian in 1980 from the University of Nairobi (Kenya). At that time his special interest was in African wildlife. He spent the next 3 years working as a wildlife research veterinarian in Kenya. This was “real” wildlife like hyenas, lions, water-buck, eland, and buffalo. In 1984 he received a scholarship to do a Master’s Degree in Veterinary Science at the University of Edinburgh (Scotland). Dr. Varma then immigrated to Canada in 1987 and worked for a few months at the Ontario Veterinary College while preparing for his Ontario licensing exams.
Dr. Varma is proud to be a veterinarian and endeavors to give back to the profession in mentoring veterinary students and foreign graduates to acquire local licenses. He has held the following positions
- Past President of the Brampton Veterinary Association
- Past President of The Highway 10 & Wexford Emergency Veterinary Clinic serving Georgetown, Milton, Orangeville, Bolton, Caledon, and Brampton.
- Council member for the College Of Veterinarians Of Ontario, the regulatory body for the veterinary profession in Ontario.
- Treasurer of the Kenya Overseas Veterinary Association, whose mandate includes helping veterinary students and the profession in Kenya.
- He is a co-owner of the Erin Mills Pet hospital in Mississauga.
He shares his home with his wife, Poonam, their 2 children, Ashna and Vishal.
When not at work, Dr. Varma likes to travel and spend his few free minutes at the gym.